Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dear Greece, I'll be arriving soon...

(Doreen, Charles and myself)

In the morning I leave for an airplane ride. This airplane ride will take me to Athens, via Frankfurt.


It has been a good time here in Muizenberg. I’ve been saying a lot of goodbyes today, and I would definitely say that the one that has stuck with me the most was the one I said to Charles and Doreen. It wasn’t long, but it was good. After our lunch here at the base, Naphtalie and I went to the grocery store to get some Cream Soda, (Charles’ drink of choice) and walked it over the street to where Charles and Doreen were sitting. Each time we talk with them I am taken aback by the beauty that God has placed in their hearts. It is amazing how close I feel to people that I’ve known for little over a week.


Charles was just finishing his fish, fresh out of the microwave. He was friendly as usual. They say that the sun is their microwave. Microwaving of this sort however, requires much more patience than the conventional microwave, as you must wait until the sun has heated the food to a warm-ish temperature. This usually occurs about half an hour to an hour after placing the food in the “microwave”.


Doreen said she now views us as part of her family. She also noted that she loved us. I replied that we also love them. It was a short goodbye, but one that I will remember well.




This week we had Ben Nimmo, a Graphic Designer from the YWAM Media Village in Kalk Bay (a few stops down from Muizenberg on the train) come to talk to us about digital workflow, archiving images, and Photoshop basics. All this can get a little boring to talk about for long periods of time, but it will definitely come in handy when dealing with large amounts of photographs.


Our team will be leaving the Muizenberg base at 3:30 this morning. Our flight leaves Cape Town at 7:00, and we’ll be flying to Frankfurt, and then to Athens. Once we arrive in Athens, which will be very early Friday Morning, we’ll be going to a smaller village called Porto Rafti, where we’ll be staying at a small convention center. They tell us it is about an hour away from Athens. I’m not too sure yet what the living situation will be like, but it doesn’t sound like there will be a lot of internet access.


So, I realized I just wrote my last update a couple days ago, but I figure I should let you all know what’s happening, just in case I’m not able to use the internet for a while.
The team and I could use your prayers that all the small and big details of traveling from here to Cape Town to Frankfurt to Athens to Porto Rafti would work together in the best way possible. Once I find out more of what is happening I will hope to find some sort of access to the Internet so as to keep in touch.

Thank you all for all the various forms of support that you have been blessing me with. I have loved seeing God during my time in South Africa, and I have loved being able to grow the interest that he has placed on my heart for Photography. I feel that the more I’m learning about photography, the more I’m seeing a passion in my heart for using it as a tool to benefit God’s plan in the world. It is a pleasure to continue to let you all know what is happening with my trip, and I pray that you are all seeing God in new ways with whatever situation he may have you in.

(a sunrise near muizenberg)

3 comments:

Cathy Dyk said...

Hey Tim,
I am amazed to see how God is building you on this journey. I feel your emotion as you said your goodbyes to Charles and Doreen. I am so thankful that you are following Gods leading. He is surely giving you grace in many situations. I love you son, Mom

anna said...

tim, i'm tremendously proud of you and i admire, beyond belief, the love you are growing for the sheep. you see HIM in them and that is beautiful. i miss you, timmy.

anna said...

p.s. kiss my beloved greece for me. :)