Saturday, October 20, 2007

.bushmen, of a different sort.

Outreach has been beautiful.

Since last Friday, myself and the two others in my group have had the privilege of spending time with the local homeless population here in Muizenberg. Monday and Wednesday we spent the mornings working with a local homeless ministry, Living Hope. We spent these mornings singing songs, leading devotions, and talking with the people that came in from the streets. I feel like God really blessed our time at this ministry. So many people come into living hope, just looking for someone to listen and be concerned about what is going on in their life. There were so many people, ranging from sad to hopeful, and I enjoyed listening, talking, praying and laughing with them.

The other part of our outreach took place in the streets, parks, beaches, bushes, parking lots, and wherever else the homeless people spend their time. Though there were a lot of ministry opportunities at living hope, I feel like our time spent outside with the people was even more fruitful, as we were able to build relationships with them in what is for them a real-life setting. We were able to witness their happiness, frustrations, arguments and quarrels, which turned out to be very interesting.

I myself spent most of this time getting to know a couple of the homeless people, or strollers as they call themselves, here in Muizenberg. Charles Jacobs, 67, has been living outside here in Muizenberg since 1981. Doreen Tofar, 58, has been living outside with him since 2001. I had some ideas in my mind for what I hoped to capture through my pictures, but in the beginning I did not realize just how closely the Lord was going to allow me to be in their lives. I was able to follow Charles and Doreen throughout most of the major parts of their day. They allowed me to meet them when they came out of their home in the bushes in the morning. They allowed me to come with them when they worked parking cars on Sunday. They allowed me to sit with them when they drank wine in the park on the afternoons. They allowed me to be in their home in the bushes as they folded the blankets on their tattered bed. They showed me where they kept their clothes, they told me how they hid their money, and they explained to me how they cooked their food by using the sun as a microwave.

I saw that their hearts are rich. One thing that stands out to me is that Charles and Doreen never asked me for money. They were happy when we would bring them milk, bread, or fruit, but they never asked us for these things. I was blessed to see their generosity at work, whether it was sharing their bread with the pigeons, giving food to other strollers in the park, or giving their extra shoes to someone in need.

With this, the beatitudes come to mind.

God blesses you who are poor, for the Kingdom of God is given to you.
God blesses you who are hungry now, for you will be satisfied.
God blesses you who weep now, for the time will come when you will laugh with joy. God blesses you who are hated and excluded and mocked and cursed because you are identified with me, the Son of Man.
When this happens, rejoice! Yes, leap for joy! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were also treated that way by your ancestors.
Luke 6:20-23 NLT

I have been so blessed by Charles and Doreen. I can now say they truly are my friends. I leave South Africa next Thursday, but I will continue them in my prayers. You can pray for them too if you would like. Here’s how:

• Charles and Doreen know about Jesus, and they certainly displayed the love of Christ in their lives, but they need God’s help to overcome the things that hold them back from knowing God on a deeper level. Alcohol sometimes seemed to be a struggle for them, so pray God would work in their lives to bring them victory in this area.

• Pray for healing in Charlie’s body, as he is recovering from a minor stab wound inflicted by one of the other strollers in the park. Also pray for healing in the relationship between Charlie and Karl, the man who stabbed Charlie. This could be a way for Charlie to see God’s grace at work in his life and in the lives of others.

FINALLY, thank you for your prayers in regards to my safety. On Wednesday when Charlie was stabbed, I was quite close to the incident, and quite close to Karl before he stabbed Charlie. Praise God for keeping me from getting sliced up!

My Photo Story is posted below for your optical enjoyment.

1 comment:

April Joy said...

Tim. You have a very sweet heart. Good Blog.